Saturday, August 29, 2015

1 in 5 Americans Are Mentally Ill

Of all the technological advances we enjoy, the ability to watch a movie in the privacy of your own home, away from the spilled popcorn and sticky yuck underfoot and endless parade of too-loud previews beforehand is surely among the Top 10. (I love you, Netflix.) Last night my husband and I did so, and got a real kick out of "Welcome to Me," a nutty homage to mental illness starring former SNL comic Kristen Wiig. It got me thinking, that's for sure, mostly about who's crazy and who isn't, and made me realize that the former list is much longer than the latter.

Actress Kristen Wiig in "Welcome to Me," putting the "craze" in crazy.
For starters, we all will die and we know it, just not when, where or how. That indisputable fact alone does not make for stability; in fact, it's hard to even function without burying it at the bottom of the cedar chest in that locked room of your brain. Next, our culture has run amok, valuing fanatic behavior far above normalcy and affording insane amounts of fame and fortune to those who stray furthest outside the lines. How else to explain the runaway success of Donald Trump, the overwhelming fascination with Bruce "Caitlyn" Jenner, and the downright obsession with the pathological Kardashians and those Honey Boo-Boo people?

Lesser crazies make it big too: This group includes loud-mouthed journalist Ann Coulter, politician and notorious bad boy Bill Clinton, robotic and mysterious Barack Obama, mondo bizzarro actor Johnny Depp, paranoid crank Al Sharpton and leftist lesbian lunatic Rachel Maddow.

On a personal level, I am certainly well out of my mind most of the time, and I come from a long line of crazies, many certifiable. My husband has his quirks, as does our son, and that's putting it so mildly as to be a clear example of just how crazy I am. In fact, I can't think of more than a handful of people I know who aren't a pinky's-length away from flipping completely out, making it easy to believe the government statistic that finds one in five Americans are mentally ill.

So if you eat your green peas one at a time, or check all the closets every night before going to bed, or wash your hands too much or worry you left a candle burning every time you leave the house -- even and especially if you don't have any candles at home -- take heart: you are not alone. But if you want to see someone who is a real nutcase and thus feel better about your comparatively mild neurosis, check out "Welcome to Me," now playing somewhere on the Internet.

2 comments:

  1. Oh... I am SO SO glad to hear I'm not alone.

    --Tedinski

    ReplyDelete

What, Me A Sex Object?

Hannah and her body, for all to see. As a big fan of the TV series Ted Lasso, it was always tough to choose my favorite character, but I usu...