Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Happy Every Day Instead

More and more I am finding birthdays extraneous. One day you're 45, the next day you're 46. So what? What are we, trees? So starting now, or actually yesterday when a friend had a birthday and I did nothing about it, not even lifting a finger to make that automatic "Happy Birthday" message pop up on her Facebook page, I will no longer be wishing people a happy birthday, the one exception being my son since I was there for his birth and I still consider it a miracle I survived it, what with the no epidural. Besides him, however, what is it my business how long someone has been alive? As for the practice of giving gifts, isn't the very fact that someone has not yet died enough?

I am not insisting, or even suggesting, that everyone do this. In fact, considering the sales of greeting cards, wrapping paper, ribbon, balloons, flowers, birthday cakes, candles and dumb gag gifts, the constant celebrations support a monumental industry. If we all stopped at once our economy would surely crash, so please, party on. As for me, I'm going with the Christian Scientists who believe "the measurement of life by solar years robs youth and gives ugliness to age," and who needs that?

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Bridge Too Far

Many people flipped out when, a few years back, President Trump called the media "the enemy of the people." Of course, most of the...