Thursday, May 7, 2015

A Mysterious Disease

If one is rich and famous, can one still get hives? And if so, what would one do about it? I, being neither rich nor famous, can do nothing but itch. And wonder where they came from and why so many conditions exist that nobody knows the first thing about, but still they can put a man on the moon. If an astronaut got hives en route to the moon, would they come up with a treatment? The very thought is so horrible, of having hives inside of that big puffy suit they have to wear, that I'm sorry I brought it up.

Yes, I have hives, formally known as acute urticaria. And believe me, there is nothing cute about them. They arrived with little fanfare last night at about 8 pm, after I ate a virtuous dinner of a cup of vanilla yogurt with two large strawberries and several handfuls of roasted sunflower seeds, and not hurting anyone. And they are still here today, and I hate them. (If my hives were a person I would push him/her off a cliff.)

Research says they could be with me anywhere from one hour to six weeks. Since it is now tomorrow, I know for sure I don't have the one-hour kind. And though it is a stupid topic and not worthy of my time or yours, when one has hives one thinks of nothing but hives. Sometimes they are caused by eating certain foods, when that's what causes them. Foods you might be eating right now. Watch out, you might be next. Then you'll think back to this blog post and say, "Aha, I get it now."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bring On the Tear Gas

On October 12, 1969, knowing next to nothing about the situation, I accompanied three college friends to a demonstration. It was the first o...