Thursday, April 9, 2015

Don't Eat That!

 "The Joy of Cooking" recipe continues below. . .
When it comes to eating, Hummus is my middle name. Until today, when I might have to change it to Listeria. Apparently Sabra, purveyors of my favorite store-bought brand of hummus, has just recalled 3,000 cases of their Classic Hummus due to some of it being tainted with the dreaded listeria bug. 

This is bad news, since  according to the Food and Drug Administration, "Listeria monocytogenes can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems."  The warning continues, "Although some people may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea, the bug can also cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women." (Not to be too nit-picky, but who else would have miscarriages or stillbirths but pregnant women?)
 
Anyway, if this morning you woke up and smelled the hummus and it's the bad kind, throw it out. Besides, it's so easy to make your own, and it tastes even better. I've been using the recipe from The Joy of Cooking forever, and there's never a speck leftover. Try it.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm Big in Hong Kong

Rainy day in Hong Kong I have never been to Hong Kong, nor have I ever wanted to go. It seems very crowded, at least from all the photos I&#...