Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Hunkering Down

Mitch's fire.
We have not yet lost our power even though the wind is fierce enough to bring down trees onto power lines, and so I have been staying tuned to the TV for the latest news on Winter Storm Juno.  Everyone keeps saying that those people in the storm's path should "hunker down" until it's over late tonight. Confused, I found "hunker" in the dictionary and learned that it means "to squat or crouch down low." The secondary meaning is "to apply oneself seriously to a task." I have no intention of doing either of those things, certainly not today.

Right now I am sitting upright on my couch. The only task to which I have applied myself all day was making tuna salad for lunch. Mitch made a fire in the fireplace, and he was crouching down when he was chopping the wood and actually building the fire, so he at least did a smattering of hunkering down. I may take a nap and actually stretch out on the couch in front of the fire, but I'm not sure that lying completely prone counts as hunkering down.

Looking out a window at our front door.
Anyway, here in Maine Juno continues to batter us, piling new feet of snow against all the doors and despite the fact that everyone in New York City is getting back to normal. I'm so happy for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nuke Gaza (or at Least Ilhan Omar)

If they can say "From the river to the sea," I can say "Nuke Gaza. " That's extreme, I know, but hey, do you rememb...