Monday, November 10, 2014

Paging Doctor Stooge

Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, our labyrinthine medical system has seemingly nosedived into the lowest echelons of common sense, floundering there alongside our political system, our judicial system and the tenure-laced minefield known as academia.

One month ago I suffered a sudden and severe blood pressure emergency which hung around for two weeks and sent me to the ER twice for care beyond the little pills I was already taking. In frustration and hoping to find the cause, my family doctor suggested I see someone who knows more than he does on the subject and referred me to a cardiologist.

The cardiologist spent perhaps ten minutes with me and ordered five tests to help him determine the underlying cause of my affliction. Off I went to have blood drawn and pee examined and sonograms of this and that body part. Alas, after I completed them yet another blood test was needed, which I went and did this morning.

Finally all done with the poking and prodding and peeing, I have yet to receive treatment of any kind and remain not the least bit wiser about my condition than when I started. As of today, I cannot meet with the man who ordered all these tests until next year. Yes, that's right--next year. Or as his receptionist put it, "We are looking at January for scheduling." When I balked, flabbergasted, she said I could definitely meet with a nurse-practitioner who works in their office and would that be okay?

Thus far, the only beneficiaries of the cardiologist's greater knowledge are the several lab technicians and radiologists doing his dirty work. And that's what medical care is like in America in 2014.

1 comment:

  1. There were lots of benefits to your visit to the cardiologist. Sorry you overlooked them.

    Those testing companies need cardiologists to prescribe their various (but all money-earning) tests. And what about all the good people who had to examine your blood or your pee? They need to get paid. And the Cardiologists staff, too!

    ReplyDelete

A Dark Day At the Symphony

Yesterday I saw first-hand the blind ignorance of Mainers. Sure, there are smart Mainers, notably my dermatologist, my hip surgeon, my denti...