Friday, November 14, 2014

An Open Invitation

There is a new website, or social media platform, or whatever you call Facebook, out there trying to be the new Facebook. It is called Ello.

Yesterday I devoted a fair amount of my flagging energy to determining what the heck Ello is, because for a half of a nano-second I thought it was something new and interesting and different that might improve my world, and yours too. Alas, it is not. It is just another not-that.

Ello boasts that its membership is by "invitation only." Considering it took me about half an hour to wangle one, and then after I "got in," I was given scads of invitations to send my friends so they could get in too, I'm pretty sure it's not too exclusive. Basically, Ello wants you to get all your friends who live over at Facebook to move to their place. And the reason everyone should move is because it is "ad-free."

Big deal. Ads are everywhere. They hardly matter, nobody even sees them, it's a wonder the ad agencies keep churning them out. Who cares if there are ads on Facebook? Somebody's got to pay for it and I'm glad it's not me. As for Ello, as far as I could see it's just another one of those websites where people friend each other and self-promote and then ask other people to friend them. It's no different from Facebook except for not being Facebook. So relax, you are not missing anything.

I just deleted my Ello account. It was a wild ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What, Me A Sex Object?

Hannah and her body, for all to see. Being a big fan of the TV series Ted Lasso, it was always tough to choose my favorite character, but I ...