Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Time Marches On

Mick, then and now.

Last night my sister called and asked if I had any baby pictures of her, as she has none. That got me dragging out my old photo albums, those three-ringed drugstore dinosaurs with the plastic pages, of which I have way too many. Once again I see the Internet as a good thing, unless of course the power goes out forever and completely erases the past. But then, who would be looking at old photos if it did? (Chances are we'd all be pretty busy trying to fix dinner.)

Walking down memory lane can be fun without the pictures, but seeing what you once were is a shocking reminder of the fact that time marches on, and one of the things it marches on most obviously is your face. Then there are all the dead people, and ex-best friends and former pets. It can be downright depressing.

I am going to go vacuum the bedroom while I still can. Then I am going to read "The Picture of Dorian Gray," which I never have, but I think it's about all of this. My advice: Do whatever you haven't done yet, because you're not getting any younger either.

1 comment:

A Bridge Too Far

Many people flipped out when, a few years back, President Trump called the media "the enemy of the people." Of course, most of the...