Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Things Fall Apart

Seems if you live long enough, everything starts to go. One day it's a hip, the next day it's an eye. For me, today, it's two eyes.

Making the stupid mistake of going for a routine eye exam, I learned that there are cloudy masses of whatever it is -- I almost don't want to know -- hovering over the lenses of my eyes. These are called cataracts, and until today I thought the term had only to do with very old people, certainly not me. But even though I still listen to rock music and will on occasion smoke pot, I am old enough to have them and they have got to go, unless of course I want to be blind, which I don't.

So all you young folks out there reading this, take note: This nasty situation is completely normal and expected for eyes past 60. It sucks, but that's one of the perks of modern medicine: We get to outlive our own body parts.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Plop, Plop, Fizz, Fizz

It's hard to believe that what began in 2004 as an innocent tool intended for Harvard college boys to meet attractive coeds on campus ha...