Friday, August 29, 2014

A Thankless Job

"You're why I have the moat, Mother."
I have always quit jobs once they become unrewarding. Even a high salary is no reward if the job sucks. But now I'm stuck in a job I can't quit, and even though the job itself is obsolete, I can't get out of it.

As you may have guessed, I am a Mother. That's fine and dandy when the thing you are mothering is an infant, toddler, tween, teen or young adult. But when it is a completely formed adult, it's just plain ridiculous.

Many women in my situation simply jump head first into being a Grandmother, never giving their adult children a backwards glance the minute that new baby shows up. But without grandchildren, you're lost at sea without a life jacket. You show up for work every day, only to be told your services are no longer required. It's a bad deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Dark Day At the Symphony

Yesterday I saw first-hand the blind ignorance of Mainers. Sure, there are smart Mainers, notably my dermatologist, my hip surgeon, my denti...