Tuesday, July 15, 2014

My Foolproof Diet Secret

(Like most advertised secrets, this is something everyone already knows.)

Lately I have been losing weight. For me this is good news as I have been trying, basically since I was 12. Dieting has always been hard, and eventually whatever weight I managed to lose came back when I got tired of the diet. Getting "tired of the diet" is a euphemism for "eating badly."

Eating badly means consuming candy, cake, ice cream, butter, cookies, butter cookies, burgers, French fries, pie, chicken wings, wonton soup, cheddar cheese, crackers, hot cocoa with marshmallows, those amazing chips they make at Whole Foods and those even more amazing Auntie Anne's pretzels sold at shopping mall and airport food courts.

Here's the Secret: I didn't call Jenny. I didn't sign on for mail-order packaged frozen food from NutriSystem. I shunned those Weight Watcher revival meetings. Instead, I stopped dieting out of a combination of boredom and disgust, and coincidentally, stopped eating bad foods. To my delight, the number on the scale has started falling.

Now when I'm hungry for something, I choose wisely from among the following:
celery sticks
carrots
radishes
grapes
apples
peaches
pears
bananas
oatmeal
raisins
yogurt
almonds
walnuts
chick peas
olives
strawberries
blueberries
raspberries
hard boiled eggs
string cheese
cold chicken
sliced turkey
spinach
kale
broccoli
cauliflower
applesauce
cottage cheese
shrimp cocktail
cold lamb chops
avocado
tuna salad
popcorn
cole slaw
 baked potato
hummus
corn on the cob
tofu
cantaloupe
stuffed grape leaves
honeydew melon
salmon
herring tidbits
watermelon
bell pepper
chopped liver
vegetable spring roll
vegetable soup
lentil soup
oranges
grapefruit
a mushroom omelet


No comments:

Post a Comment

Bring On the Tear Gas

On October 12, 1969, knowing next to nothing about the situation, I accompanied three college friends to a demonstration. It was the first o...