Saturday, April 19, 2014

Roar

I had a "smart" phone for the last two days, and I hated myself. During that time, I felt dumber and believe I actually was dumber. For example, I could never answer it when it rang. I kept swiping the damn thing as instructed, but to no avail. I took a few pictures with it and they were all blurry. I did, however, always know the temperature in Freeport, Maine, something I could find out by simply stepping outside, or looking at the thermometer on the back porch, or checking the newspaper, or turning on the TV.

My husband, being an avowed Early Adopter, naturally has an iPhone; I think he got it on the first day they existed. He is embarrassed to be seen in public with me when I use my little AT&T flip-phone, so when it finally broke and I needed a new one, he browbeat me into submission with name-calling: "Dinosaur" was the one that finally made me cave.

The thing is, I don't want to check the weather or my email or hear music or take pictures or play games or write messages or look at Facebook or do any of the things everyone is always doing in restaurants on my phone. I just want to talk on it. So I returned that stupid smart phone this morning, opting for a new old-fashioned dumb phone.

I feel good about myself again.

3 comments:

  1. Imagine! How utterly prehistoric! You actually only use your phone... as a PHONE?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Until just a few months ago I, too, had only a flip phone.
    I resisted the iPhone but was dragged kicking & screaming into the 21st century by my company giving me brand new smart phone.

    I'm addicted. I wish I weren't, but I am!

    --Tedinski

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ted: I am so sorry to hear about this. Now you are on the other side, and able to be contacted directly by the aliens.

      I still like you though.

      Delete

A Bridge Too Far

Many people flipped out when, a few years back, President Trump called the media "the enemy of the people." Of course, most of the...